Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Optically transparent covering?

On Fri, 28 May 2021 22:31:59 -0400, Paul
wrote:

T i m wrote:

The bit of very clear blister pack seemed to have quite an impact so
I'll run some tests and compare. ;-)

What are your objectives,

I don't have one specifically Paul, it's just another opportunity to
try another sensor, see how it integrates into Home Assistant and from
there, see how I can make use of it. One thought of a use was to
'enhance' the electric curtains so rather than just dusk / dawn (+-
whatever offset I set) I could use those + actual light levels, as
some days 'sunset;' is still reasonably light whereas others it's
quite dark'. Apparent you can also use sun angle that takes into
account your height above sea level but I've not tried that yet).

for this overly scientific sensor ?

I'm not sure if it's 'overly scientific', just that it offered
'predictable support / integration into ESPHome / Home Assistant (all
the support libraries in place), cheap, connects via I2C (so simple to
interface) and 'calibrated', as opposed to using a LDR etc.

I have a sensor which mounts on the carriage lamp out front
of the house. It costs about as much as a light switch at
the hardware store.

This probably cost less (inc the ESP32 board that gives wireless
access). ;-)

Photocell sensor. Mine is brick-shaped, with the CdS sensor
mounted on the side of it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._QL70_ML2_.jpg

Noted.

"Time Delay Function : Accurately judges natural light,
won't be triggered due to occasional light such as
car headlights, lightning or other temporary light.

It's suitable for parking lot, street lighting,
outdoor lighting, factory, indoor lighting"

(Example of a CdS sensor as a component...

https://media.digikey.com/photos/Adv..._PDV-P5001.jpg )

The thing has at least three wires, and there's probably
a Triac in there doing the appliance switching.

I didn't really want to 'switch' anything, especially as some preset
level (if not adjustable etc), I wanted to dynamically 'read' the
light levels and then I can decide how I want to make use of that.
This was based from previous experiences with 'light sensing' lamps
and lamp fitting adaptors that have no user adjustable sensitivity
settings.

And their claim in that description is accurate. I've
never seen a false trigger on the thing. A car can drive
by, the light stays on. It's not a motion sensor. The light
it controls, is not some kind of strobe show, like all the
neighbours lights. Mine failed at some point, I bought a
new one and fitted the sensor to the pipe-with-a-hole it
mounts inside. And it's been running for probably 20 years
at this point.

Yeah, commercial photo-switches seem to be a strange thing, either
lasting for ever or a very short time.

Now, the Triac part is no good for your purposes. But
as far as the sensor function is concerned, it accurately
detects dusk. The light will come on whenever there is a
"complete solar eclipse". Any condition which is sufficiently
dark and sustained long enough, will switch it on. And I
don't go out and "clean the sensor face" - there is no
maintenance whatsoever.

This was more of an electronics, wireless, Home Automation,
datalogging, 'you can manage what you can measure' sort of project,
rather than a straight light level switching task.

For example, if I wanted I could set all the lights in the house to
come on during a solar eclipse. ;-)

It was cheap, and surprisingly fit for purpose (shocker!).
At the price, I was expecting Magic Smoke or Quibbles.

From my experience of them they normally just die unspectacularly. ;-(

Previously I had the sensor looking direct out and up (towards the sky
/ sun) and logged this:
https://ibb.co/QHfKhv9

Yesterday I turned it though 90 degrees and had it facing horizontally
in the window reveal and have just picked up this:
https://ibb.co/FwXfY0y

And the point of this sort of solution is that you can also go back
over time (not sure how far) and select whatever sensors or switches
you want over whatever period you want and display them side-by-side.

Cheers, T i m