Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Steam Gift Card scam?

On 28/05/2021 14:13, Davey wrote:

A friend has asked me to buy £00 worth 0f Steam gift cards as a present
for her niece, and asks that I scratch off the backs to reveal PIN
numbers, and then send a photo of them to her. This sounds weird to me,
is it some kind of scam?

That depends... If you have actually spoken to the friend and know that
it's a genuine request, and you are happy spending £300 on the nieces
present, then perhaps its legit.

If you have had some other kind of communication where you can't
positively identify the friend, then you need to check with them using
an alternative communications channel. e.g. a text or an email alone
would be suspect.

There are other ways of buying steam gifts:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...hp?p_faqid=549

Gift cards described he

https://store.steampowered.com/digitalgiftcards/

There is also a digital gift card - you can buy online and send direct
to the niece.

--
Cheers,

John.