Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Steam Gift Card scam?

"Tim+" wrote in message
Davey wrote:
A friend has asked me to buy £00 worth 0f Steam gift cards as a present
for her niece, and asks that I scratch off the backs to reveal PIN
numbers, and then send a photo of them to her. This sounds weird to me,
is it some kind of scam?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/gift-card-scams

this is someone scamming you out of money that you don't owe

and then using the gift card scam to collect it, so that you have no route
to claiming it back when you discover you have been scammed.

The OP wants (FSVO) to pay his friend this amount of money, so can't be
being scammed in this way

If the OP is being scammed here, it is much more subtle