Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Moving appliances

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 4:17:21 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/05/2021 14:10, Theo wrote:
I need to move some heavy appliances - washing machine, fridge freezer etc -
by a few dozen metres (hard surface), including over a door sill.

Can anyone recommend what's the best way to do this without getting someone
else to assist? Obviously I don't want to damage them.

I once had a washing machine delivered and the sole delivery guy managed to
manhandle it out of the tail-lift van and into the kitchen using just a
'sack barrow' kind of thing. Would something like that be worth using (what
sort should I get?), or are there any better ways?

Much depends on what surface you are moving stuff. For example, across a
vinyl floor or other smooth surface, and piece of inverted carpet under
the appliance will make it easy to slide.

Various skate type platforms etc can also work well

For more difficult moves then I use:

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...11047?st=truck

(or simpler lighter versions may suffice)

That can make things easier to get over steps etc (sometimes with a
block or brick against it to make a lower "step" to ease getting it up)

Normally I stick some old blankets or carpet over the trolly to stop it
scratching up the appliance.

I have successfully moveed things like a washing machine out of a house,
down a few steps and into the back of my car on my own using a trolly,
some old blankets, and a couple of wood planks to make a ramp. (reverse
it into the car - handles first - stick a blanket under them so they
slide easily on the floor of the boot, then push appliance up the ramp
on its side on the trolly)

--
Cheers,

John.

On Vinyl, if you slide an upside down off cut under the machine, having first sprayed the surface with anti-bac spary, you will find it slides easily. A good tip from a flooring fitter.

Jonathan