Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default OT: Lithium ion battery developments

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 26/05/2021 20:35, newshound wrote:
On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done
that, and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double
digits over a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go -
about 37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass
turbofans, that's pretty much it.

Missing the point. We were not discussing GT thermal efficiency, we're
talking about fuel per passenger mile. Which goes down with each new
Trent (composites and aerodynamics helps too).

There are some number here.

Don't forget that a lot of the things aircraft do don't apply to cars -
such as choosing the ideal cruise height and speed for the weight of the
aircraft, and changing it as the aircraft gets lighter.

I'm not convinced that composites are all that much of a good thing in
the long term either. Aluminium is a lot easier to recycle than
carbon-epoxy composite.

Andy

On BEV cars, the battery pack is pretty heavy, and the curb weight
is pretty high for the BEV. On the other hand, with regenerative
braking, some of the mass component is being neutralized a bit.
(The power used to accelerate the mass, comes back during
deceleration, with some losses in the process.)

Even if you made the mechanical framework out of pixey dust,
it's still going to be a heavy car. The longer the range (and
more expensive the battery pack), the more mass.

And this is used to alter the handling, because the mass of
the battery pack is down low.

Paul