Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default ?B?UmU6IMODwoPDgsKiw4PCgsOCwoDDg8KCw4LCnE91dHN0YW xsaW5nw4M=?=?B?woPDgsKiw4PCgsOCwoDDg8KCw4LCnSBhIENIIGJvaWxlcg ==?=

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
People often comment here on the inadvisability of installing a gas
boiler oneself due to building regs, possible effects on house
insurance etc.

However, if you were to €¢outstallĀ a boiler, I.e. fit it either on
the outside of your property or even in a detached
outhouse/ventilated bunker with just the water pipes entering your
property, would that avoid all the potential issues associated with a
self install?

Not intending to do this, well not yet anyway, just wondering about
the legality of €¢outstallingĀ.

Don't see it makes any difference. Unsafe work is unsafe work no
matter where you put it.

IĀm not asking about unsafe work, IĀm asking whether gas safe rules and
building control rules apply to a boiler that isnĀt installed inside a
house.

By that you're implying that an explosion in your garage etc is less
important than one in your house?

I took Tim to be asking what the law /is/ rather than what you (or
anyone else) think it ought to be. And I at least don't find all the
regs easy. E.g. the definition of "building" in the regulations is
narrower than in the Act: "any permanent or temporary building but not
any other kind of structure or erection". If you can see clearly the
dividing line there I'll gladly call you Gunga Din.

But I don't think it matters for Tim's question because the building
notice requirement is triggered by "the provision or extension of a
controlled service or fitting in or in connection with a building" (reg.
3(1)(b)).

A "controlled service or fitting€¢ is a service or fitting in relation to
which Part G, H, J, L or P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement so that
includes boilers etc.

And the use of "or in connection with" seems to me to leave little room
for doubt that even a boiler in a tent is caught if it serves the house.

My point is either you are competent to DIY install a boiler or not. Some
claim you can DIY some of it but not the gas, all of it, or none of it.
And of course the likes of Gas Safe are out to protect those who fund its
interests.

So looking for some exemption in the regs seems to me silly.

You are entitled to think that. But it's not what you said.

And while you don't see that it makes any difference if work requires a
building notice or self-certification I do. E.g. if someone is thinking
of selling a property then it might make good sense - if it were
possible without much extra cost - to avoid the cost of a building
notice or the cost/bother of inspection/insurance when the buyer finds
there's no completion certificate. So I don't see that it's necessarily
a silly question.

--
Robin