Posted to sci.electronics.repair
three_jeeps three_jeeps is offline

Default Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:59:53 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

I actually found a recycler in driving distance who claims he will even
take my CRT tvs.

I know, except for some weird situation I won't find, no one wants a CRT
TV but what about....

A westell DSL modem Hub

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westell-Wir...-/153433002888
still offered for $20 plus 9 shipping, but does that mean anyone can
use it?

My wifi router.

a router without wifi? (bought by mistake at a hamfest, when I didn't
notice it had no antenna. Otherwise it looked just like the one I was
using.

in the states, you may want to check with your municipal waste company that services your area. There are some that will collect electronics, including devices with CRT, paints, and some 'hazardous wastes' on a per call basis. They do this because it is part of their service agreement. I recently got rid of 4, 19" crt monitors and about 10 partially full 1-gal paint cans.

In some municipalities, there are 'dump sites' where people can take their trash. In these sites there is usually a room with tables where people can donate their electronics, books, games, etc. for anyone to pick up if they have a use. While visiting a relative in Lincoln, MA, I visited one of these places and picked up a nice apple 27" all in one. Assuming it did not work, and suspecting that it had suffered from the defective capacitor problem for units of that era, I got it, replaced the caps and had a nice system.

Some older devices like MBs have life on ebay. Certain FAX modems have a good afterlife - only for the FAX capability. There are a few that implement the fax protocol correctly and are useful in fax servers. Well, as long as faxes continue to exist but their usage is declining.