Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 27/05/2021 08:05, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think what they need to look at is the number of cycles and their ability
to still be as good ten years on, this is particularly the case for those
running vehicles.

It's going to be massive problem for the second-hand market. I was
reading up the other day on fast charging of EV batteries.

It appears that the manufacturers warrant the batteries for various
periods 5 years, 7 years or whatever. The more rapid charges someone
does, the shorter the battery life, so they have included software that
limits how many times a battery can be fast charged.

Don't do it often, no problem, do it often and the system will
eventually stop you fast charging, on at least some occasions, to
protect battery life and prevent in-warranty failures.

However, they are balancing convenience against warranty claims, so
allowing the maximum number of rapid charges for an acceptable number of
warranty claims, therefore a second-hand vehicle, that is just out of
warranty, could be very close to battery failure, depending upon how it
has been used. So you could buy a 5 year-old car and within months have
it written off as uneconomic to repair due to battery failure.