cp

Default Request for recommendation: Central Air replacement

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate the feedback. Model numbers for
the equiment is below

Some additional info from my experience thus far.

The repair tech that came out to check the systems seemed very
knowledgeable. He advised me that the valves where shot in my 3.5 ton and
very weak in my 2 ton. He put a pound of freon in the 2 ton and advised me
that it was futile to fill the 3.5 ton. Further, he did not charge me for
the $57 flat rate visit or the freon for the 2 ton unit.

The Sales Tech from the same company came out and advised me to replace both
the outside unit and the coil so there would be a good match. (I was
pushing for just the outside unit).

Said that Compressor/Condenser and Coils usually last up to 11 years. Said
I could go from a 3.5 ton to a 4 ton as the housing in my existing Carrier
was capable of a 4 ton. The tech went in my attic where the units are and
computed the amount of cu ft going out of the 3.5 ton unit to determine if
there was enough to hadle the extra 1/2 ton. After computing it, he advised
me that is was right at 3.5 tons and that by going up to 4 tons, there
would be a little loss in efficiency as the outbound capacity was a little
less than it should be for 4 tons. I still chose to go with the 4 ton as
the price wasn't much different.

He computed a SEER of 12.25 for each of the units based on using Tranes high
effiiciency coils.

The model numbers for the outside units are the XR12 for the 4 ton and 2
ton.

2 ton: 2TTR2024A1000A
4 ton: 2TTR2048A1000A

The model numbers for the coils a

2.5 ton: TXC031S3HPC
4 ton : TXC054S3HPC

Price includes Condenser install and Coil install for both units. Again,
the total was $5,925.

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"cp" wrote in message
Currently have 3.5 and 2 ton Carrier units. Both are 11 years old.

3.5
ton is shot. 2 ton is close. Coils look ok.

At 11 years, depending on where you live, both are shot..

Plan on staying in the house for at least 5-7 more years.

Four questions:

1) Trane or Carrier........... leaning toward Trane

Personally...neither.
I dont like the fact that if either breaks out of warranty electrical

wise,
you pay through the nose for parts.

BTW, the name on the unit means nothing, its the install that makes the
unit.

2) It was recommended that I replace a Carrier coils that are 11 years

old
to match the new outside Trane units (how long do the A/C coils

typically
last) and the coil lifetime is not that much longer than the outside

units

Umm...you NEVER install a new outdoor condensor on evap coils that old. In
other words, if someone told you that you can keep the indoor coils and
replace the outdoor units only...kick that hack to the curb. It is a waste
of your money to do this and anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

3) Is this a good price for a Trane 12 Seer XR12

4 Ton Unit
4 Ton Replacement Coil (high efficiency)
2 Ton Unit
2.5 Ton Replacement Coil (high efficiency)

$5,900 installed if buy same time or $3,500 and $3,000 for 3.5 and

2
ton separately

Nope. Too low...seriously.
(and I say this, since I have been considering a Trane dealership as my
cheaper brand, that is more well known here in my area)

Where is your new matched lineset? For BOTH units. What is the SEER

rating?
High Efficiency means nothing...anyone can put that on a unit and someone
will buy it.
Today, High Efficiency means 14 SEER or HIGHER. 10 SEER units used to be
called HE units, then it was 12 SEER, and now, with the 13 SEER Federal
Ruling on the way, 13 SEER will be the cheap crap, and 16 SEER will be

high
efficiency units...

Sounds like some salesman either saw you coming, or you are leaving
something out.

4) Trane offers a 5 or 10 year extended warranty that can cover parts

or
labor or both parts and labor transferable. Is this advisable?

If you can get it for under $400...cause you WILL need it.

I kinda like my units 10 year warranty, that includes a lifetime warranty

on
the compressor....the labor warrantys included in the price....but....each
company is different.

Thanks