Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default “Outstalling” a CH boiler

On Wed, 26 May 2021 22:29:35 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 26/05/2021 21:51, Tim+ wrote:
People often comment here on the inadvisability of installing a gas boiler
oneself due to building regs, possible effects on house insurance etc.

However, if you were to “outstall” a boiler, I.e. fit it either on the
outside of your property or even in a detached outhouse/ventilated bunker
with just the water pipes entering your property, would that avoid all the
potential issues associated with a self install?

Not intending to do this, well not yet anyway, just wondering about the
legality of “outstalling”.

Tim

In terms of "legality", I don't think you'd be breaking any laws. But
there would be no warranty on the boiler if not installed by an
"approved installer". You would also probably have problems with your
insurer were to succeed in blowing up or burning down your house. The
fact of the boiler house being detached may not prevent this.

Although you may not be there to claim *anyway* if the boiler is on
the outside of your house and the exhaust flue on the inside. ;-)

Cheers, T i m