CBHVAC

Default Request for recommendation: Central Air replacement

"cp" wrote in message
Currently have 3.5 and 2 ton Carrier units. Both are 11 years old.

3.5
ton is shot. 2 ton is close. Coils look ok.

At 11 years, depending on where you live, both are shot..

Plan on staying in the house for at least 5-7 more years.

Four questions:

1) Trane or Carrier........... leaning toward Trane

Personally...neither.
I dont like the fact that if either breaks out of warranty electrical wise,
you pay through the nose for parts.

BTW, the name on the unit means nothing, its the install that makes the
unit.

2) It was recommended that I replace a Carrier coils that are 11 years

old
to match the new outside Trane units (how long do the A/C coils typically
last) and the coil lifetime is not that much longer than the outside units

Umm...you NEVER install a new outdoor condensor on evap coils that old. In
other words, if someone told you that you can keep the indoor coils and
replace the outdoor units only...kick that hack to the curb. It is a waste
of your money to do this and anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

3) Is this a good price for a Trane 12 Seer XR12

4 Ton Unit
4 Ton Replacement Coil (high efficiency)
2 Ton Unit
2.5 Ton Replacement Coil (high efficiency)

$5,900 installed if buy same time or $3,500 and $3,000 for 3.5 and 2
ton separately

Nope. Too low...seriously.
(and I say this, since I have been considering a Trane dealership as my
cheaper brand, that is more well known here in my area)

Where is your new matched lineset? For BOTH units. What is the SEER rating?
High Efficiency means nothing...anyone can put that on a unit and someone
will buy it.
Today, High Efficiency means 14 SEER or HIGHER. 10 SEER units used to be
called HE units, then it was 12 SEER, and now, with the 13 SEER Federal
Ruling on the way, 13 SEER will be the cheap crap, and 16 SEER will be high
efficiency units...

Sounds like some salesman either saw you coming, or you are leaving
something out.

4) Trane offers a 5 or 10 year extended warranty that can cover parts or
labor or both parts and labor transferable. Is this advisable?

If you can get it for under $400...cause you WILL need it.

I kinda like my units 10 year warranty, that includes a lifetime warranty on
the compressor....the labor warrantys included in the price....but....each
company is different.

Thanks