Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith[_21_] John Smith[_21_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

On 2021-05-26 16:09:43 +0000, R D S said:

It was a geartronic I drove.
There's so much traffic around these parts these days you end up with
clutch foot ache.
Didn't think i'd like an auto but was very pleased and now having a
complete rethink, plus as stated elsewhere, no more clutch replacement.

Headache if the box goes kaput though!

As an aside, it was interesting when I almost launched everyone through
the windscreen the first time I wanted to stop it and my left foot
instinctively went for the clutch and found the brake.

The geartronic shift up and down the gears I find useful if only that I
keep wanting to do something with my left hand... it's useful to lock
the gear in 2 say when there are a load of speed bumps close together.

If you do go for a Volvo it has one of the best user forums for any
make and also at least one good facebook group. The forum has saved my
bacon a few times - you could ask about issues with a model here. Auto
boxes like fluid changes, which makers often don't recommend but users
do.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk

I often use my left foot for the brake, which you are not supposed to
do with an auto but I can't see any reason why not.