Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 26 May 2021 09:34:42 +0100, Mike Coon
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

I actually found a recycler in driving distance who claims he will even
take my CRT tvs.

Maybe there's a market for recycled vacuum? ;-)

When I was a schoolboy in the UK back in the 1950s, local kids would
carry CRTs over a girder bridge across a town river in order to drop
them some distance to the water where they would implode.

I averted my eyes as I walked past (to school) in case one got cracked
on the girders while still being held by the child...

I would not litter but I have broken open a couple CRT tvs,
one to see the shadow screen (is that what it's called?)

Shadow mask.

that color tvs had with one hole for every 3 dots. The other
was a 6 or 8" tv and I broke away enough of the neck and
adjoining glass to plant a plant in it. The thing grew really
well, and I wonder if the phosphorus was responsible.

No drainage at the screen end, so I had to be carfeful not to overwater.