Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

On Wed, 26 May 2021 05:07:49 -0700 (PDT), "Peter W."
wrote:

I have put stuff on "curb-alert" with Craig's List with 100% success - defined as *stuff gone within five (5) days*. This includes everything from old toilets & sinks to questionable electronics. Anything that has even a smidgen of residual appeal (to me) goes to Kutztown for the Buy-it-Now pile.

Good to see there is some sort of plan though. Not everone has such
(judging by the things that are perfectly ok after *just* being
cleaned out or a fuse replaced).

The most amazing(ly awful) stuff gets a new home from that source.

;-)

But, I agree that for the most part, many things find their way to landfill due to very minor failures combined, the rarity of good repair options,

I like the idea of the 'repair workshops' where people bring stuff
along and volunteers try to fix it for the cost of any parts and a
charity donation or similar?

and the cheapness of replacements.

What get's me is also when the replacement cost is pretty high many
just seem to chuck stuff away for the simplest of things (not to them
obviously), or worse (unless someone else can get to it and make use
of it etc), when there is nothing wrong with it but just last years
model or not a colour that matches their new decor. ;-(

I picked up a small Dyson cylinder cleaner that had been bought by
someone, apparently it had gone wrong and a new motor fitted, then had
gone wrong again and so given away on Freegle with 'needs repairing,
possibly a new motor'). I collected it, plugged it in at home, wiggled
the lead where it goes into the (moulded) mains plug, heard the motor
spin up briefly so just cut the lead off by the plug and fitted a new
one and it's been fine ever since. And this is probably around 200
GBP's worth of cleaner!?

I was chatting to a good mate last night and he commented on how many
people seem to be ignorant of even the most basic of 'life knowledge
and so 'of course' anything that relies on such knowledge would then
be a complete mystery to them ('everone to their own' of course). ;-)

Like without Ohms law, or a basic understanding of material science,
or the environment, or energy ... how could you then make informed
judgments on anything that relied on such?

I have had an electric car for over 30 years and you wouldn't believe
how often I've had the suggestion of 'Why don't you fit a dynamo on
one of the wheels and that would charge you up as you go along'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m