Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese steel ?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

Snag, I have torn my 12 ton press apart with a 12 ton jack and bent the
beam on my 20 ton press with a 20 ton jack. (Both repaired) If you
have a cheaper import press like many of use do if you ever push it you
may find similar issues, and an oversize jack will certainly tear it
apart on a really stubborn u-joint.

The minimum yield strength for pipe on this page is 25,000 PSI which I've
seen elsewhere as a good value to take for untested recycled scrap steel.
The presses may have been made from the same low-cost scrap.
https://www.amerpipe.com/steel-pipe-...pecifications/

Steel recovered from the Titanic showed higher yield strength within the
original spec of "15-20 tonnes per inch squared".