Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 13:30, GB wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:33, Pancho wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than
nuclear fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant.
With massively quicker charge times it might be possible to
reduce battery capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc,
with smart infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Airliners hardly ever experience more than 1.5G loading. Do you
want to fly in one that *can't* experience more than 1.5G loading
without the wings folding?

A better example: There's no point having an airliner that can
perform aerobatics safely, as that is not what it is used for.

A considerably worse example.

Airliners in severe turbulence can and have been stressed right up to 5G
limits. And survived, not without injury or damage however

Their passengers are still here

A barrel roll is an aerobatic manoeuvre that most airliners can execute
safely as it is low positive G stress. MUCH lower than turbulence

We don't build technology for the average, we build it for the worst case.

Besides that, the only real need for a car that can do more than 50
miles is to attend a funeral the other side of Ireland at incredibly
short notice.

Or to drive to see a relative who needs looking after who has broken
their leg 200 miles away

NHS: "the patient died because all our ambulances were on charge after a
major RTA had flattened their batteries, and a study by an ArtStudent„˘
showed that their average daily usage was less than 200 miles, so that's
all the batteries they have".

National Grid: "The country experienced a complete blackout because the
wind wasn't blowing anywhere, and it was overcast with a solar eclipse,
despite the fact that *on average* it should have been OK, an
ArtStudent„˘ said so"

Fukushima Director: "We were only going to build a sea wall 2m high
because an ArtStudent„˘ said that is the *average* height of waves".

Are you an ArtStudent„˘, GB?

private property.

Karl Marx