Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default Chinese steel ?

Some may recall a few months ago while I was building the rooster
weather vane that I had porosity problems while TIG welding some hot
rolled steel . Well , it happened again today . I noticed yesterday that
the tension rods on my HF hydraulic jack press had dimpled the underside
of the top beam . I decided to cut the dimpled area out and weld in a
thicker piece since I'm using a bigger jack than it came with .
I milled out a square section of the bottom of the 3/16 inch thick
square tube and welded a 1/2 inch thick piece in it's place . I wanted
to TIG it for better penetration , but it was not going to happen . I
ran a couple of beads and could tell right away that it wasn't a weld
I'd trust , so I fired up the BabyMIG and welded it with .025" ER70S6
shielded with straight CO2 - ground the porous welds out and redid them
with MIG too . Watched the puddle closely to be sure I was getting good
fusion , this thing has a 20 ton jack and the last thing I need is for
it to give under load . I should probably drop back to the 12 ton I had
on it but the 20 doesn't leak around the pump cylinder .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...