Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Straight service valve to toilet cistern: replacing with 150mm flexible hose

On Tue, 25 May 2021 14:46:14 +0100, Fredxx
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 13:05, MM wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:20:53 +0100, Fredxx
wrote:

On 20/05/2021 13:59, MM wrote:
The cistern service valve is very slightly weeping and so will have to
be replaced. But in order to remove the valve I shall have to cut off
the ferrule at the compression joint end. As it is unfeasible to
actually saw through the ferrule, the usual approach is to saw through
the pipe just past the ferrule. But then the gap between the cistern
inlet and the new service valve is likely to be too large.

Ferrule? Do you mean olive?

It is normal to simply connect the new onto the old pipe with the old
olive, or if using a fibre washer, same nut with a new fibre washer.

Turned out that a new fibre washer was all that was needed. I bought a
packet of 10 for about 50 pence from local DIY store. I'm going to
keep checking it all afternoon, but so far no drip after an hour.

The beauty of fibre washers is they swell. One good reason to replace
them if the joint is disturbed.

If it's not leaking now it probably won't in the future too.

I don't understand how it can start leaking, though. Going back
through my records it was October 2015 when I fitted a new fill valve,
and it's been leak free until a few days ago. Does the fibre washer
perish in some way? The old one looks pretty ropey, I must say. It
almost fell apart.

MM