Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn[_2_] Paul Drahn[_2_] is offline

Default Sheet metal bending question....

On 5/25/2021 12:12 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
Just bought an inexpensive baking pan hoping it would fit an old
toaster oven. Only $1, and it seemed decently made so took the chance.

I found it would fit by bending the flanges down along the short edges.
To my surprise, the pan, which had been quite flat on the bottom, developed
a sharp bistable twist. The bending was done freehand, using fingers alone.

Would holding the pan flat during the bend have avoided the twist, or is
the twisting intrinsic to deforming a drawn shape of this sort? Can a
twist be "tuned out" of a drawn shape? More pans are available if it's
necessary to start over. It's very easy to make the twist worse, but
making it better requires visualization skills I lack.

The pan is about 11 by 7 by 1 inch deep, the flanges I bent down were along
the 7 inch edges. The twist that resulted is close to half an inch.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

bob prohaska

The twist is in the angle between the bottom and the side you bent on.
Need to reform the angle.
Paul