Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT: Car number plate details

On 24/05/2021 13:08, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/05/2021 12:56, newshound wrote:
On 24/05/2021 12:03, R D S wrote:
On 23/05/2021 21:58, JoeJoe wrote:

I wasn't doing anything wrong, and was honest throughout, but as the
item was 2nd hand I have a bad feeling that he was the type that may
well expect a "lifetime warranty" to come with it...
I sold a car many years ago, a demic for pocket money
The buyer came back with it some weeks later because the exhaust had
fallen off, expecting me to sort it!

Many years ago a mate of mine sold an old Audi with a slightly "iffy"
automatic box (iirc reverse engagement was a bit intermittent)
although he had been driving it around for months without any real
problem.

So he offered the bloke two deals. Something like £150 as seen, no
come back, or £300 and if the gearbox fails in a year I'll take it
back and give you all your money back. The guy thought for a bit and
took the first deal. A smart (but fair) bit of negociating, I thought.
Revealing his confidence that it would be OK, and reassuring the buyer.

If the buyer had been canny, he could have taken the £300 option, then
deliberately broken the gearbox after 11-1/2 months and had a free car
for nearly a year!

Thankfully most people are honest. If it lasted 11 months then there's
also a fair chance it's going to last somewhat longer.