Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Trying to hang upper cabinets in 100+ yr old brick wall.

On 23/05/2021 23:23, fred wrote:
On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 10:45:27 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 23/05/2021 22:24, JohnP wrote:
Owain Lastname wrote in
:

https://www.locksonline.com/Cabinet-...mm-Long-6492.h
tml

That would be my absolute favourite after watching a builder arsing around
with lots of individual ones. Needs a small cutout in the rear of the sides
of the cabinets.

Arguably an even better idea than a batten underneath, apart from the
fiddle of notching the uprights. The other thing I like about "my"
battens is that it's easy to put screw hooks into them for hanging
utensils. I also have mini strip lights mounted on some of mine. (These
are not visible from the front in my case because I have "home-made"
doors that stretch down a couple of inches below the bottom shelf).

Gorilla Glue would not have been my choice. a chemical resin or epoxy resin filler would have been better.
Much talk about french cleats but if the wall is not flat the french cleat may not function correctly and adjustment of cabinet is difficult.
Blum, or similar, wall hanging brackets are ideal . The brackets have a minimum of three slots for screws increasing chances of getting a good fixing or a fixing rail can be used. One bracket in each if the cupboards top corners and levelling is easy. Fischer do any excellent selection of different plugs. I'd be surprised if a suitable one could not be found in their range

Agreed

If going to the trouble of fixing a wood batten under the cupboards then just use a top wood batten as well. Set tight to the top of the cabinet with screws securing the cabinet to it . This will stop the cabinet tilting outwards and maintain the weight vertical to the fixings

But a top batten above the cupboards is much more difficult to fit,
because you have to do it with the cupboards in place but still
prevented from tilting. And a vertical screw into the chipboard top (or
even sides) will not be particularly secure, as well as being difficult
to fix since it has to be driven parallel to the wall and there may not
be much vertical clearance. Can't see what advantage it provides.