Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Two world wars and one would cup ..not

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2021 08:24:43 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

John le Carre quote

To hear Brexiters claiming that Britain won the war
single-handedly is, he says, "emetic". "The wonderful
rightwing military historian Max Hastings points out
that we were bad fighters, that we were extremely
badly organised, and our contribution in terms of
blood and wealth and material was - I can't say
trivial, but tremendously small by comparison to
the sacrifices of the other major powers. Russia
lost, what, 30 million men? And in treasure, heaven
knows what. We didn't win the war in that sense.
We were on the winning side by the end, but we
were really quite minor players."

I beg to differ. If Britain had done **** all against Hitler,
the world would be a very different place today.

Certainly if Britain had agreed to a truce after Dunkirk as Hitler
had wanted it likely would be today. Less clear what would have
happened with Russia tho, it isnt certain that Germany would
have prevailed there or that the USA would have just yawned
and let the europeans rip each others throats out again.