Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plywood cutting time saver

On Sat, 22 May 2021 23:58:36 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2021 20:59:14 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 21 May 2021 01:28:58 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Fri, 21 May 2021 02:07:21 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 22:53:07 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 20:34:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:38:37 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 02:08:33 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 00:53:04 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 00:16:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you have more than one sheet of plywood to cut, this tip saves time

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk

That's genius.

A 14" circular saw with a fence?

No, a 10" jobsite table saw, AKA contractor's saw, inverted, with a fence.

It doesn't take a lot to impress you.

Have you ever tried to cut a full sheet of material on a jobsite saw? It's
neither easy nor safe. He made it relatively easy and much safer.

If you look at the kerf, it looks to be 5-6" deep, looking like a 14"
saw.

I'm surprised to see that you don't recognize that type of saw. Those
things all have a 10" blade. They don't come any bigger and they can't
accommodate a blade bigger than that. If the blade is fully raised, the
depth of cut will be about 3.5" deep.

(Depth of cut, not 'kerf', since kerf refers to the thickness of the blade,
rather than its diameter. Full kerf usually means 1/8", while thin kerf is
somewhat less than that.)

This is just a big skill saw with a nicer rip fence.

It's just a standard 10" jobsite table saw, flipped upside down. It still
has its stand attached. It looks like a Porter Cable or possibly a Delta.

For example:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-10-in-Portable-Contractor-Table-Saw-36-6023/311675216

Even more reason to wonder why you were so amazed.

I'm even more amazed that you didn't know the difference between a skil saw
and a table saw.

Once you pick it up and turn it over, the only distinction is size.

And safety features. (who calls circular saws "Skil saws" anymore?)

Old farts.
They are all either circular saws, reciprocating saws or chain saws.
I look at it like you bring the work to a table saw and you bring a
skil saw to the work. This is clearly bringing the saw to the work.