Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default getting spots off of speedometer plastic

On 5/22/2021 7:17 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/22/2021 9:40 AM, micky wrote:
How do you get little white/grey spots off of clear plastic.

Especially when there is no reason they are there!

I have my speedometer cluster out so now is the time to clean it.

It has a clear plastic window in front that at the top is just about
vertical. Further down it curves around to 30^ from vertical, and the
more it approaches horizontal the more spots it has.Â*Â* As if they are
caused by something that falls.Â*Â*Â* Otherwise, the plastic is like new,
totally clear, without a scratch, and even wheree the dots are, I can't
feel anything.Â*Â* 2005 Toyota.

Rubbing with a watery rag does nothing, rubbing with my finger does
nothign also.

Greyish spots one millimeter or a little bigger.

What are they?

What are they from?

I spit as much as the next guy, but I don't remember ever spitting in
the car at all, and certainly nowhere near hard enough to reach the
speedometer.Â*Â* So where did this stuff come from?Â* Even in the rain with
the convertible top down, it's not going to get rained on.**Â* what made
these spots?

And, most important, how should I get rid of them?

**Sometimes I drive in the rain with the top down, but even I don't get
wet, so how could the speedometer get wet.Â*Â* And I've done that only for
5 minutes in this car.Â*Â* (In an earlier car I drove for an hour until
the rain stopped. Get a few drops on the top of the rear seat, but
everything else stays dry.Â* The harder it rains the faster you have to
go to keep dry.

Try toothpaste.Â* Contains mild abrasive but will not harm plastic.Â* Also
about 15& isopropanol is used to clean acrylic but do not use any pure
solvents as acrylic is soluble in many.

I would try windex or such first.