Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"

In article
,
Tim+ writes
Ian

On 2021-05-20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
By the time we are forced to EVs, they will be available with the same
range as any current diesel car. In other words, as far as any normal
person would wish to travel in one day by car.

****ing hell! Mystic Meg speaks!

Have you not noticed the increase in range in the short time EVs have been
around? And think it impossible it will get even better?

Sure, it will get better, and will (have to be) good enough, as it's been
decided that this is the way we're going, and a lot of people are going to
make a lot of money from the tech. refresh, even if the end result makes
us worse off.

Everyone here seems to obsess over the negatives and refuse to acknowledge
the positives of EVs.

On my current variable tariff my fuel costs less than 2p per mile. Even if
I was on a standard fixed rate tariff of say 15p/kWh, it would still be
under 5p per mile.

Diesel and petrol cost is mostly tax.
I do 99% of my charging at home. The only charging I do away from home is
on free chargers. This is of course a time limited perk in Scotland but
Id be a fool not to take advantage of it when convenient. ;-)

Well you and I are subsidising the Scots anyway, so it's your money.
Zero emissions at the point of use. Maybe you dont worry about your local
air quality but if you lived in a congested city you health would almost
certainly benefit from better air quality.

That is a valid argument. Use pricing to deter those with ICE cars from
going into town and city centres.
Also, theyre *really* nice to drive.

The electric motor is much more suited for automotive use than the ICE.
Of course they have their downsides (as trumpeted here ad nauseum) and
definitely wont suit everyones usage needs but Ive done
10,000 miles of
stress free motoring since last September.

Horses for courses. I'm against compulsory halting of production of ICE
cars.
Tim

They're too expensive.
--