Posted to rec.woodworking
Seattlemusic Seattlemusic is offline

Default Strength of a 1/2 screw eye?

I have four 1/2 screw eyes going into 2 x12s which are running perpendicular to 5x12 glulams holding up about 250 pounds total (hanging a cluster in a music studio). It seems rock solid but I have heard some say the break strength of ANY screw eye in wood of any type is 75 pounds. So yes technically it can hold it even with those numbers but not nearly at the safety margin I want. I will be sitting under this cloud/cluster often.

Curious if this is sufficient or if I should open up the ceiling and get up higher with a through hole or something that wont have a risk of wood + bolt failure.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...e-3120309-.htm