Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"

On Fri, 21 May 2021 09:23:28 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I know they 'can' pump all sort of stuff fairly long distances

Across the entire country and entire regions in fact.

Quite. Interested to know many long distance *petrol*
pipelines are in action around the world though.

The number doesn't matter.

It does when I as making the statement that in spite of petrol powered
vehicles being around for over 100 years, we still don't have petrol
feeds to our houses, like we do water, electricity (in the
contemporary use of the term 'piped', like 'piped music') and gas.

The pipelines are mostly crude or gas
for other reasons, like the number of different pipelines needed.

Of course, as I stated.

(Dad was on Shell Tankers for 12 years) but it's funny that after 100
years of the IC engine, they still don't (for Joe Public to access)?

Yes they do.

Not that I was talking about this but are you saying it's
the norm for petrol stations to be 'plumbed in' (other
than those that are quite near terminals / refineries)?

Nope, just in some situations like airports and ports.

So you agree with me then, we don't generally pipe petrol to people
homes.

It's a lot cheaper to use tankers in other situations.

Of course.

I was actually saying that they haven't plumbed petrol to
people homes (in the same way they have with water and
gas (even then not in all locations) and after all these years?

There isnt any point in that because the petrol use is so much lower.

Sure, I wasn't suggesting a reason why it hasn't been done yet, just
that it hasn't.

And gas did in fact transition from tankers to pipelines to homes.

It did indeed, just petrol didn't. Luckily, electricity now has. ;-)

Whilst out walking the dog yesterday I saw a car on charge outside
someone house from what looked like a garden hose reel fitted on the
wall behind the car, up on their drive. Then I looked at the badge and
realised it was a Tesla. I think that's the first full EV I've seen
being charged at home (my mate has a plug in hybrid thing [1] that
I've seen him charging at work (his business).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I think they both have second hand plug in hybrid cars now as they
both do quite a few miles and he's pretty canny re saving money.