Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jack Harry Teesdale Jack Harry Teesdale is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that chargesin five minutes"

On 20/05/2021 22:44, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 May 2021 at 22:15:03 BST, Jack Harry Teesdale
wrote:

On 20/05/2021 18:35, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 May 2021 at 18:15:50 BST, Jack Harry Teesdale
wrote:

On 20/05/2021 18:12, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 May 2021 at 00:30:07 BST, Fredxx wrote:

On 20/05/2021 00:08, Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/05/2021 16:57, GB wrote:
On 19/05/2021 16:18, Tim Streater wrote:

If the alternative is climate catastrophe, then I'm prepared to stop
occasionally.

How d'ye know that's the alternative?

Let's do a risk analysis:

Suppose all the scientists concerned about climate catastrophe are
wrong, then you'll be suffering a little inconvenience unnecessarily.
That's not the end of the world.

Suppose all the scientists concerned about climate catastrophe are
right, but we refuse to suffer a little inconvenience. That is the end
of the world.

It's not a "little inconvenience" when you are literally unable to get
to a family funeral in time without a petrol or diesel car!

The same way we coped before the motor car, with careful planning.

Actually, or course, we didn't cope, especially before phones. You might get a
letter a week later saying your 8th cousin had pegged it a week previously in
the west of Ireland.

But then, people took that for granted. It was how it was. Today, you tell
people they will have to cope, and their response will be short, pithy, and
Anglo-Saxon.

Telegrams were a common method of fast communication before telephones
were widespread in homes.

What, in 1830? Gosh, who knew!

1830 was not mentioned in the post i replied to. Just ' before phones'.

Christ on a bicycle! Consider my post suitably amended. D'ye think that
humanity sprang into existance just at the moment to take advantage of
telegrams but not phones? As any skoolboy could infer, I'm talking about the
long period of history *before* any speedy means of communications, during
which people just accepted that they'd likely miss all sorts of things
happening.

No the paragraph i replied to quotedActually, or course, we didn't cope,
especially before phones. You might get a letter a week later saying
your 8th cousin had pegged it a week previously in the west of Ireland.

Telegrams were commonly used in these circumstances before widespread
ownership of home phones.

Don't try to weedle out of context.