Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Festool OF-1010 Router Dust port

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:15:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 13:31:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 3:47:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 11:07:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:52:59 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2021 5:58 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 3:08:51 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
One has to wonder why there are oval ports.

Maybe Festool had a summer intern mechanical engineer doing the design and their focus was on the fluid mechanics equations. There are no factors in fluid mechanics for "is this practical".

Yeah! What you said. ;~) I have to think no room for a round port on
the base unless they made it much smaller.

That sounds reasonable. The dust port on the body of DW411 sander is a very thin slot.
To convert that to a round hose connection port would take a pretty big "circle".

This is the DW411, with no built in port for a hose.

https://tehnoskarb.ua/images/tehnosk...2/4/649224.jpg

They must have gotten some feedback because the newer models convert that
slot to a round port via a modification to the body of the tool. Seems like Festool
could do this if they wanted to:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...rded-Heavy.jpg

The dust port is very high. On a router there is a large space
between the motor and the cutting edge.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4b75b/images/stencil/608x608/products/3238/7422/pcc_of1010_000000_a_01a__33205.1467291950.jpg?c=2

The larger OF-1400 router has a hood that snaps over/around the bit to
do the same thing. It's really a PIA because it's always falling out.

https://colorex.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/festool-router-of-1400-w.jpg

My Rocky 30 trim router has a snap on DC hood also. Works ok, but the hose makes a
light weight trim router kinda bulky.

That's one of the down sides of any of this. It's a lot better than
breathing the stuff though.
On the other hand, Oneida (of Dust Deputy fame) makes a universal router base with
a DC port. The port swivels within the router's opening.

https://i.imgur.com/iIfn4I3.jpg

It doesn't seem like it's very easy to see the bit.
The DC port has a integrated "cup" that encloses the bit and directs all the dust to
the port. My finger is touching the cup and the port can be seen on the left.

https://i.imgur.com/2sjekzp.jpg

That looks like a really good idea but it still looks like there is a
lot in the way of the bit.

It doesn't look like it's any worse than the Festool picture you posted.

Maybe I'm missing what you mean.