Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that chargesin five minutes"

On 20/05/2021 21:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 20/05/2021 09:05, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:37:12 +0100, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Much later than that. Early 70s. Can remember queuing for petrol and
being restricted to a few gallons.

wiki says 1973.
Â*I remember having petrol coupons in 1973-74.

I am pretty sure that they were issued, but never put into use.
Individual garages typically put their own limits of 3 gallons on
instead.

They issued the coupons printed for Suez. And they were never required.
Motorcyclists complained that they were unsuitable for the more
efficient machines of the 70s. When you sold the vehicle, you passed
them on to the new owner.

Some filling stations imposed ridiculously low limits. [With one I used
to go to it was 50p max/min.] The predictable result was long queues of
cars topping up as frequently as they could, even though many would have
had tanks that were already nearly full, and they didn't need any
petrol. A far better policy would have been (say) 5 gallons minimum,
with a payment still for 5 gallons if you took less.

Some had maximum limits. Some had minimum limits (to stop people topping
up). Some queued for hours and found their tanks were already full.

--
Max Demian