Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Repairing and strenthening thin moulded plastic

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:35:07 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

On 20/05/2021 12:04, David wrote:
I have some moulded plastic fitting in my caravan which have proved
flimsy.
I need to both repair and strengthen them.
As a first check, should a fibreglass repair kit - that is, two part
epoxy resin and some fibreglass matting - be suitable for this kind of
repair?

Try to find out what the plastic is. There may be a symbol moulded into
it. If not, you could try Floplast SC250 solvent cement or similar, an
internet search will show you loads of suppliers.

A picture of the fitting might be helpful. If it's a plastic called ABS,
then the above will fix it "as new", and allow you to stick on more
similar plastic as reinforcement.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/
File:Broken_side_caravan_front_locker.jpg

and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/
File:Good_side_caravan_front_locker.jpg

Hopefully you will be able to see these.

I can't see any markings on the moulding but there could be some on the
inside. However taking it all apart could lead to more problems.

The edge of the plastic at the bottom of the door measures 3mm on my
digital callipers. I can't get the jaws in the hole but I assume that the
thickness is consistent.

Cheers

Dave R