Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Straight service valve to toilet cistern: replacing with 150mm flexible hose

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:20:53 +0100, Fredxx
wrote:

On 20/05/2021 13:59, MM wrote:
The cistern service valve is very slightly weeping and so will have to
be replaced. But in order to remove the valve I shall have to cut off
the ferrule at the compression joint end. As it is unfeasible to
actually saw through the ferrule, the usual approach is to saw through
the pipe just past the ferrule. But then the gap between the cistern
inlet and the new service valve is likely to be too large.

Ferrule? Do you mean olive?

Yes. But I've seen it called ferrule elsewhere.

It is normal to simply connect the new onto the old pipe with the old
olive, or if using a fibre washer, same nut with a new fibre washer.

I thought one wasn't supposed to use the same olive again? Will it
seal ok? If so, then I don't need a hose connection.

So what about fitting a 150mm flexible hose instead? There are several
available, on eBay, on Amazon etc. These have a compression joint at
one end and the usual coupling at the other end to screw onto the
cistern inlet. They are available with or without an integral
isolation valve. I would only choose the latter kind.

I've fitted compression joints successfully before, but have never
used the flexible hoses for anything, so have no experience with them.

After seeing a flexible hose fail I tend to avoid them with the
exception of taps.

But surely the compression joint end is just like any other
compression joint? Should just be the case of using a pipe cutter to
cut the existing copper pipe, then fitting the hose? The only
complication is that the builder painted the copper pipe white to
match the bathroom! But paint stripper should remove it. Plus wirewool
perhaps.

Or stainless steel scourer.

I assume one would attach the hose to the cistern inlet first, in
order to gauge the right distance to cut the copper pipe for the
compression end?

Am I on the right track here?

I'm wondering why you can't make a more direct replacement.

After what you said above I will probably attempt it.

MM