Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Repairing and strenthening thin moulded plastic

On 20/05/2021 12:04, David wrote:
I posted on this some time back, perhaps nearly a year, but can't seem to
find the original at the moment.

I have some moulded plastic fitting in my caravan which have proved flimsy.
I need to both repair and strengthen them.
As a first check, should a fibreglass repair kit - that is, two part epoxy
resin and some fibreglass matting - be suitable for this kind of repair?

I am about to investigate in more detail once I've emptied out the caravan
so I can get to the area in question.

Cheers

Dave R

What type of plastic? It's difficult to glue things to polyethylene and
polypropylene (for example), even though "sticky tape" of various sorts
will stick well.

Such a lot also depends on the loadings and requirements.

Traditional fibreglass kits use polyester resin rather than epoxy. It's
cheaper, more brittle, and does not stick quite so well to many things.
Epoxy plus fibre glass is good, provided it has the basic adhesion.
"Mechanical keying" is also a big help.