Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"

On Wed, 19 May 2021 14:56:44 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

I would imagine a smart plug/socket arrangement with a barcode on the
cars socket linked to a debit card, and a charging regime, that would
allow no current to flow until a valid car was in fact plugged in,

snip

And the last bit is what I understand happens already, no charge is
applied until all the right signals come back (as a make learned with
his re-badged Chevy Volt and 'faulty' charging socket connector).
snip

I think that several things will in fact happen.

1. Fuel cars may be banned from residential town areas,

Already happening in many 'pedestrianised areas of course.

but they will
not disappear.

There is no suggestion they will (in the foreseeable).

2. Urban car ownership will decline,

Agreed.

with fully charged driverless taxis
being the urban norm

Mostly in the form of better more granular Public Transport.

3. Charge times will reduce a lot

Agreed, even if only at 'Super' (more expensive) charging points.

4. Range will increase a little.

Range could increase a lot when we realise that luxuries and speed
affect range.

5. 'Renewable' energy will vanish

In your dreams.

6. Nuclear power will run everything.

In your dreams.

People will tell you that 'the sun
is renewable and it's a nuclear reactor innit' in a massive exercise in
doublethink

Except that particular nuclear reactor is 151.39 million km from us so
much safer and less likely to be used for nefarious purposes. Best to
make better use of that by collecting it's output using a mixture of
techniques.

7. As fossil fuel costs increase, synthetic hydrocarbons rather than
hydrogen will replace them. Since these will use CO2 and water to make
them they will be considered 'renewable'

Cool.

8. But mostly, we will be (nuclear) electric where ever possible for
everything

Nuclear powered long range high speed electric ferries / transports
with (onboard vehicle) charging will replace much aero / freight
movement.

Cheers, T i m