Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith[_4_] Richard Smith[_4_] is offline

Default load for steel pipe

Cydrome Leader writes:

Richard Smith wrote:
This nominal 1inch pipe - if you told me its actual dimension - two of
three of inner dia, wall thk., outer diameter - or what "Schedule" of
1inch pipe so I can look it up - I'd run the Euler-Bernoulli beam
calculation on it.
You could do Euler-Bernoulli - the familiar beam calc. yourself

Second Moment of Area
Section modulus
Section Moment capacity
Load-bearing capacity

You could also get the expected deflection - which can be had when you
know the Second Moment of Area.

Rich Smith

what a nerd fest. It's black gas pipe as used in the US. Does it have
guaranteed structural properties? no. Will a 5 foot piece hold up skillets
arranged like clothing in a closet on hangers? yes, it will.

You can do this very quickly when you are used to it.
I have some "functions" which run in my text editor.
I've even done an analysis to completion in chalk on my welding bench
at work, just recalling the formulae and doing the arithmetic.

Then you can have really beneficial applications.
eg.
http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/stru...lat_calcs.html
I really really wanted to make sure all my colleagues were alright on
this job.

So - maybe, maybe not - take your own pick

Rich S