Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart meters, nearly fell off my stool.

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 18/05/2021 09:25, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
On 17/05/2021 22:37, Max Demian wrote:
Smart meters are sold on more than remote metering. We're supposed
to be
able to save oodles of money if we consent to having them
installed -
not sure how.

I can't think of a single advantage, except for the car charging
thing
that someone mentioned. Indeed, that seems to be the sole reason for
the
push to make people have them. So that charging times can be somewhat
controlled.

Its not a question of €ścontrolling€ť it, its just makes it much more
affordable if you have a significant consumption that you can
time-shift to
an off-peak period.

Except of course, for most people who do not want to arrange their
whole life around the electricity tariff times, it'll simply mean
paying a lot more because they want to cook (as we move from gas, we'll
only have electric cookers), heat their home (electric heat pumps),
have a shower or a bath (no hot water storage, so electric
instantaneous water heater)

Oh I wish

the biggest thing for me if I were to not be allowed to have a gas
boiler [1] would be the loss of instantaneous hot water

there's no property-wide electric equivalent ATM

Yes there is. It just costs a lot more for the electricity.

There may be theoretically available solutions

Not just theoretically available, buyable right now.
The only reason they arent as common is because
electricity costs a lot more per KWh than gas does.
But they are still used where gas isnt available.

but you will struggle (in the UK) to get buyers thinking that it's a good
idea when trying to sell your house.

Works fine when there is no gas available.

They have to become a "normal" solution for that to happen

Wrong.