Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that chargesin five minutes"

On 20/05/2021 00:21, Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/05/2021 19:00, GB wrote:
On 19/05/2021 18:16, Steve Walker wrote:

The point is that even if you don't do it often, electric cars aren't
capable of it when needed. I don't want two different cars, just one
to fill all the roles I need it for. For me a plug-in hybrid would
make the best sense. 60 miles range would cater for me in day to day
driving on electric only, almost all the time, but with the ability
to do longer journeys, as and when, at zero notice.

One of the manufacturers was looking at a little trailer with a motor
+ generator that you could hire for long journeys. Or leave in the
garage until needed, so you weren't lugging around a heavy engine just
for a trip around town. It doesn't seem to have caught on. Maybe, it
will.

But would leave you unable to tow a trailer or caravan on long holiday
trips and with lots of problems parking anywhere if needed.

I'd like to know that if I was running low on power on any journey, I
could switch to an included petrol engine if my plans changed.

Alternatively, I would love to have standardised battery packs that
could be exchanged at a "petrol" station, reducing stops to minutes.

I do envisage that sort of system. There was a proposal for Tesla along
these lines.

Full charge in 90 seconds:
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/videos/battery-swap-event