Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"

On Wed, 19 May 2021 18:31:28 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The house we were "visiting" (to buy) was not ours until we had done the
paperwork, had only a 3kW supply limit, was at the time disconnected and
we only stopped there long enough to look (bought as seen on the day)
and again for an hour to spray woodworm killer.

Charging anywhere on route, would have delayed us considerably.

Not been around when petrol was in short supply? I have been.

Same here ... and you had to 'eek it out' or queue for hours.

I have had a plug in EV for over 30 years and so I'm very used to
working out where I could get to and know if I could get a charge when
I was there or not (and so how long I would have to stay there for)
and was never caught out (ok, it got close a couple of times).

In the same way I've rarely run out of petrol in my life (even when
touring in Scotland and the wife did on her motorbike, we siphoned
enough from mine to get us to a petrol station).

Even when racing the electric motorbike I designed and built, I always
finished the race (duration) because that was part of good racing
technique and energy management.

If it was likely that I wouldn't have enough money to buy petrol to
get to work, I didn't squander it going for a drive for fun.

But we probably already do stuff to 'fill in time', reading / working
on a train, washing up whilst the dinner is cooking so we should be
able (might have to) to engineer working [1] or shopping, dining,
sleeping whilst the car is charging.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Which is what I did when I fitted a charging point at work. ;-)