Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that chargesin five minutes"

On 19/05/2021 09:53, NY wrote:

My (diesel) car has a range of about 700 miles on a 60-litre tank.
Diesel has an energy density of about 38 MJ/litre.

The fact that your car can drive 700 miles without a fill-up does not
mean that you can drive it that far without a break.

For me, a practical use case is to be able to drive 1-2 hours between
breaks. I have a petrol car, but if I had an electric car, I'd just plug
it in at each rest break.

Suppose the charging process is 99% efficient - ie only 1% of the
electricity is wasted as heat. That's still a power of 1/100 MW or 10
kW. So the batteries and the charger have got to dissipate waste heat
equivalent to three 3-bar electric fires. Gulp!

But, they only have to do that level of charging for 5 minutes. So,
that's not going to heat the car up appreciably? Perhaps the charging
station will incorporate fans to help dissipate the heat? Current
charging stations don't need that, as they are only charging at a
fraction of the rate.