Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default load for steel pipe

Richard Smith wrote:
This nominal 1inch pipe - if you told me its actual dimension - two of
three of inner dia, wall thk., outer diameter - or what "Schedule" of
1inch pipe so I can look it up - I'd run the Euler-Bernoulli beam
calculation on it.
You could do Euler-Bernoulli - the familiar beam calc. yourself

Second Moment of Area
Section modulus
Section Moment capacity
Load-bearing capacity

You could also get the expected deflection - which can be had when you
know the Second Moment of Area.

Rich Smith

what a nerd fest. It's black gas pipe as used in the US. Does it have
guaranteed structural properties? no. Will a 5 foot piece hold up skillets
arranged like clothing in a closet on hangers? yes, it will.