Lobster

Default Shower tray - advice on selection

(Lobster) wrote in message . com...

I need to replace my bathroom shower tray; having removed the old one
(using a sledgehammer once I'd realised how heavy the damned thing
was!) I'm a bit aghast at the thought of lugging a new stone resin
tray up there and fitting it. The old tray, installed into an alcove
by a previous incumbent, was 760mm square and the flawed cubicle
design incorporated flat tiled areas at the ends which leaked badly;
hence the new one will avoid flat areas by using a longer tray
(900x760 mm) which will fit snugly within the cubicle. But it will be
even heavier than the original.

I always thought the design was odd, but having appreciated how heavy
these trays are I'm thinking maybe they deliberately went for a
lighter, square model.

Has anyone got any tips please?! Is there a realistic alternative to
stone resin?

Having decided that a new stone resin tray was really the only option,
I decided to take the plunge and buy one anyway. That's when I
discovered that my old shower tray, which I thought was what stone
resin was, wasn't. Doh! It must have been ceramic or something;
whatever, it must have weighed twice as much as the new stone resin
one. I may not be built like Mr Universe but I should be able to
shift this one methinks!

David