Grandpa Koca

Default New dryer install - use the same cord and outlet?

Pop Rivet wrote:
"Steve B." this is not my real [email protected] wrote in
message ...

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:07:11 -0400, "Pop Rivet"

wrote:

Question: Didn't the dryer come with a cord attached?

It

had to have had one if it was bought legally. In such

case,

the receptacle MUST accept the supplied plug on the

dryer.

IF it came without a plug, and you are in North America,
then the UL/CSA integrity has been broken and this is not

legal device. Your home or renter's insurance would look
down on such a thing if it caused a fire; as in, not
covered.

Not to doubt you but I have never bought a dryer or stove

that came

with a cord attached... They always sell them extra at

some ridiculous

mark up. When did they change this?

Steve B.

Far as I know it's never changed. HOWever, it also depends
on what country you're in, which is why I asked if it was
North America or where? In the UK for example, hardly
anything comes with a cord, but in the US, an electric dryer
will always come with a cord attached, which also is the
correct NEMA. All you have to do is plug it into a correct
receptacle for the supplied plug.
You CAN get them without cords, if you ask and the
retailer is willing, but ... that's not the norm. Normally
you just "plug it in" unless it's a hard-wire or some
special job. I'm beginning to think the OP isn't in NA but
haven't looked at all the threads.

Pop

Well I'm in North America, and have legally bought two dryers in the
last 5 years. Both of them from reputable dealers and neither of them
came with a cord in the box. In fact, if you peruse the online
specifications of various manufacturers, there is a section that looks
something like this:

"30A, 120/240V, 60HZ, AC-ONLY. USE COPPER WIRE ONLY. A FOUR-WIRE OR
THREE-WIRE, SINGLE PHASE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY REQUIRED. A TIME-DELAY FUSE
OR CIRCUIT BREAKER AND SEPARATE CIRCUIT IS RECOMMENDED."

In fact, the Amana site states specifically: Electric cord - not
supplied with dryer.

And the dealers asked me if I had a three or four prong outlet at the
installation site. They then charged me for the appropriate cord. The
installers brought the dryers, cords, and ducting and completed the
installations.

Neither GE nor Whirlpool come "with" a cord attached. In the
installation instructions, there are sections for making the connections
using either three or four prong cords.

In my recent experience in North America, I'd say that finding an
electric dryer with a cord attached is not the norm. And they are UL
listed. Now if its a gas dryer, then they do have the cords attached
properly wired for 110V.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca/