Pop Rivet

Default New dryer install - use the same cord and outlet?

"James Kilton" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the advice everyone - very much appreciated.

Some
follow-up comments/questions:

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message

=== AND the correct cable, plug, and receptacle for a

dryer
rated at 30amps! There are MANY 30A plug/receptacles,

and
only one of them fits this application.

Question: Didn't the dryer come with a cord attached?

It
had to have had one if it was bought legally. In such

case,
the receptacle MUST accept the supplied plug on the

dryer.
IF it came without a plug, and you are in North America,
then the UL/CSA integrity has been broken and this is

not a
legal device. Your home or renter's insurance would

look
down on such a thing if it caused a fire; as in, not
covered.

It didn't come with a cord; in fact, the box even says

something to
the effect of "no cord included". I had thought this was

a standard
practice, as I almost ordered one online from Sears and

they also had
me buying a cord separately.

That being said, I've seen images online of what 30A

receptacles look
like, and mine isn't it. So I'm confident that my

receptacle won't
accept a 30A cord.

Hmmm, interesting. Don't assume you have the wrong one just
'cause you didn't see it on a site. If you go to
http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
you'll get a look at many of the different types of plugs
and receptacles there are. BTW, the R in the NEMA number
indicates Receptacle and the P the Plug.

You still haven't said whether you're from NA or not, so I
have to assume you are. The cord should have been part of
the purchased part IF you are in NA and the product meets
UL/CSA or Orange County, etc etc etc.. If you're not NA,
it's possibly a different story, as I said originally.

But from what I gather so far, the current cord &

receptacle will
work, but may be against code. This would at least allow

me to use
the dryer now and get an electrician out here (shortly)

down the line.
My concern was whether or not something bad could happen

just by me
trying out the new dryer. But it sounds like there's no

risk here?

Correct, it does not SOUND like there would be any risk,
from your description, and assuming you are safety aware and
capable with electricity.

What I do find really funny is that, since you got this from
a legit store, there was no documentation with the specific
information you need to install this dryer. It sounds as
though you may have gotten some sort of a contractor's deal,
in which case you may not have a warranty also - worth
checking.

Good luck

Pop

Thanks again,