Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
bitrex bitrex is offline

Default Guitar wiring

Any guitarists?

I'm wiring a 3 humbucker "super Strat" like this:

https://res.cloudinary.com/phostenix/image/upload/GuitarWiring/StratHHHHotRailsSeries.jpg

Two Seymour Duncan mini-humbuckers in the neck and middle position as
per the diagram, and one Bill & Becky Lawrence regular humbucker in the
bridge.

https://www.wildepickups.com/

The SD wire codes are black - north start, white - north finish, red -
south finish, green - south start

The Bill Lawrence is black - north start, white - south start, red -
north finish, green - south finish

(ref:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fxdzp2uudp/product_images/uploaded_images/bill-lawrence-original-xl.jpg)

I have it wired up as per the diagram except on the BL since the color
code is different I have white on that one to ground, red to top left of
5 way switch pin 1, green to top right of five way switch pin 1.

Switch position 1, 3, and 5 give the quiet powerful hum-bucking sound
I'm used to. Something seems wrong with positions 2 and 4, though, but
as I've only played a Les Paul or SG for 20 years I don't have any idea
how splitting coils across humbuckers and running them in series is
supposed to sound. I was under the impression that it gave a "virtual
humbucker" kind of sound but it sounds thin and nasally more like a
Strat single coil. Maybe that's how it is, don't know.

Anyone see an error in how I've wired this up or in the diagram that
could be causing the symptoms?