Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default ?Q?=20Stockpiling=20boilers=E2=80=A6?=

Theo wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
What always intrigues me about pieces like that, is how they all gloss
over the fact that the renewables industry in the UK is dependant on gas
for balancing load and intermittent supply.

Articles like this gloss over a lot.

And they all present it.

In one sentence per paragraph.

I don't think gas is a showstopper as such. Better to use renewable
electricity for the say 90% of the time you can, and generate electricity
from gas only when needed to bridge intermittency (and no other storage is
available - batteries should handle short term grid stability). Result is a
90% decline in carbon emissions. Power stations are also much easier places
to fit CCS than everyone's boiler flue.

Obviously there's a whole load of economic implications (upgrade the grid;
pay to keep stations idle, not pay them per unit of generation) but it
doesn't seem technically problematic.

Apart from a workable/economically viable carbon capture system.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls