Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On 18/05/2021 11:41, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 19:57:15 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 17/05/2021 19:27, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 18:09:45 +0100, Robin wrote:

snip

Your enthusiasm for recognising in law that [some] animals are sentient
is surprising.

I guessed it might be to some.

That was already in law that applied here until very
recently.

And you think that was what it was all about?

Article 13 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European
Union :

"In formulating and implementing the Union's agriculture, fisheries,
transport, internal market, research and technological development and
space policies, the Union and the Member States shall, since animals are
sentient beings, pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals€¦"

?

Robin, there is more to news (or any coverage / exposure) than the
direct / specific information that may appear to being presented.

eg, An article on some change / strengthening of a rule re the
treatment of animals is yet another opportunity to get the *plight* of
animals and how we treat / exploit them into peoples minds.

You might only focus on the detail but it's the 'bigger picture' we
need people to consider.

If you had watched Countryfile this Sunday it showed how 'Farmers are
going to have to change (and adapt)' as people further recognise what
we / they are currently doing is polluting our rivers and waterways,
is not sustainable and devastating habitat and the environment. They
overviewed a farm and how it was trying to evolve (ironically by
returning to 'older' farming methods) and it made me smile when they
stated 'the first thing they did is get rid of the dairy'.

I was also pleased when 'tim...' (I think) posted this link recently
(trying to use it to make a case but actually supporting mine as it's
basically what I have been saying all along ...):

https://www.theguardian.com/business...t-debut-public

I support most of it but the last bit nails one of the comments the
trolls keep on rolling out (like it matters).

€śThats a seamless transition for the consumer and thats what the
third generation of producers are doing. Manufacturing technology has
played a large part. Now we have a convergence that fulfill the
promise of great taste and texture for consumers.€ť

Ultimately, Malek believes, we may begin to detach from the need for
plant-based protein to resemble meat products. But now its still
early days and consumers still want something that they already know.

There are reasons for the attachment, namely the simple fact that meat
and/or meat products consumption is required as part of a natural
balanced diet.
€śYou cant make them jump across two axes, simultaneously, switching
ingredients and switching flavor. Eventually well get to a place
where products dont need to resemble chicken or beef or lamb. They
will simply be delicious and plant-based.€ť

Which exactly what we (here) are already doing where tonight I did 'a
burger' with salad, hash browns and 5 beans and we both enjoyed it and
'missed' nothing (especially the bits of bone, eyeballs and arsesoles
and the guilt of causing suffering and death of an innocent sentient
creature for 'no reason').

You're welcome to eat your diet.

But not the sort of diet you would impose on a child if you wanted
normal brain development.

What is normal brain development though.

Given children with a vegan diet have an IQ 10 points or more less than
a vegetarians says sufficient.

Would you say Donald Trump had normal brain development ?

Good question. It takes a certain type of brain to become president.
Normal, given his childhood and being shipped off to a boarding school
at a young age must have taken it's toll.

I also don't think it's a good idea to feed babies and young kids fast food.

Agreed.

As yet we don;t really know what short or long term effects differnt diets have on children

That's not entirely true. A link I gave a while ago compared children
with different diets.

It would be prudent to carry out more studies. But you won't get any
funding from vegan groups because they know the answer.

but we do know that many differant cultures have survived for 1000s of years
that are both vegitarian based and meat based, fish based , but as yet no results on fast food based.

Yes, but it's perhaps not a coincidence that meat based western world
have progressed fastest.

Although I do find it scary what's happened in america with large fat wobbly people

That is down to the low cost of food and its availability. I would add
VAT to foodstuffs, especially high energy density food in much the same
way the sugar tax works.

claiming that God will protect them against covid and there they are shouting USA USA
brandishing a gun that the terminnator would use for self defense because God won't protect them.
Not sure if that is classed as normal brain development or what is normal behaviour.

I no longer understand Americans and what they stand for. Gun laws are a
good example. Thank god we don't have a constitution.