Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default New heating system being installed

RJH wrote:
On 18 May 2021 at 10:54:03 BST, ""NY"" wrote:

When my wife and I were looking for a new house, we saw one which had
central heating with an heat-transfer pump and radiators. The house was
perfectly warm, but we both agreed that the constant whine of the stale-air
extraction pump, audible in every room, would have driven us mad very
quickly. The boiler and floor-to-ceiling hot-water cylinder occupied most of
the utility room, and that was excluding the heat-exchanger (on the wall
outside) for extracting heat for the ground.

'Stale air extraction pump', so you mean a MVHR (mechanical ventilation)
system? Or an ASHP (all the air stays outside)? MVHR typically has ducts
inside with fans in them. It sounds that's a ventilation system not a
heating system? (You can get MVHR integrated with an ASHP but only to a
limited heat output - which might be OK for small super-insulated
new-builds)

Interesting. My sister is thinking of getting a ground source pumped system.
Are there any decent sources of experiences of them in use? Hadn't thought of
the pump before . . .

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/...gy-generation/
https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/ (the forum is a bit new but it's growing)

GSHP should be very quiet given it's just pumping fluid into the ground,
unlike ASHP where it's pumping air through heat exchange fins. It then
feeds into radiators or UFH - like any central heating there are water
pumps. Some are quieter than others (I heard Wilo recommended).

Also, does the cooling of the ground have any effect? I'd have thought
flora/fauna would suffer . . .

The ground is a buffer between summer and winter. You extract heat from the
ground in winter, and the sun recharges it in summer. If you don't size
things right it doesn't recharge enough and it's harder to extract in future
winters. I don't think flora minds too much because most of the growing is
in the summer, and most fauna doesn't go down far enough to notice (unless
you have digging rodents), although I couldn't comment about earthworms.

THeo