Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 22:14:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/05/2021 17:29, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 15:52:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Hopefully good news (and there will be plenty of more of that to
come).

Why?

Because it seems it's the only way we can get some people to stop
causing animals to suffer and die unnecessarily?

It still makes no sense.

I would expect the vast majority who eat animals already realise that
they are sentient beings.

But do they ?

Which is why the vast majority of people who
eat animals want to see that they cared for and treated humanely while
alive, and then killed in as quick and painless way as possible.

They most likely do, but is that what is actually happening, not everywhere.
I'd say most don't have a clue and find it easier to ignore, just like not wearing masks
until not wearing them might just adversly affect them.
Had a student last week who said "I don't need to wear a mask I've already had covid".

Having a bit of legislation define them as sentient makes no difference
to those of us who do care about their welfare, and also probably little
difference those those who mistreat them either - since both realise
they are sentient.

But what if we find that someone is mistreating, and we lock them up for years instead of a mere fine. ?
Do you think they will behave differntly.
I've even seen this with students in the lab.

I doubt there are many for who this must be some kind of news! (even
thick people can normally spot the difference between a pig and a brick.

What they don't seem able to do is spot when they are supporting the
suffering, exploitation and death of sentient creatures and hence the
need for the education and outreach. They *think* that cows need
milking *anyway*, that chickens lay eggs *anyway* so we can just take
them if we want and pigs exist just to give us bacon.

Farmed pigs generally *do* exist just to provide food and a multitude of
other useful materials. They are not bred just because farmers like to
have lots of pets and enjoy wading through pig ****.
If animals are to be recognised as sentient beings, shouldn't that mean everyone must become vegetarian?

No, because that means we aren't recognising the sentience and so
rights of egg laying chickens or cows.

Nonsense.

Perfect sense.

You may well think you chicken qualifies for entry to Mensa,

Grow up.

thrrrrrp
but that
does not stop you enjoying an egg with your bacon.

The thought that an animal *will* have to suffer (because they do) for
my pleasure is enough to stop millions of us from 'enjoying' such
things.

And it's your choice. As is enjoying an omelette for the majority. No
need for either group to proselytise.
(Never seen a cow egg - so will skip those!)

Yes, it might be best for you as we will have to start testing your
supposed ethics skills again. ;-)

You ain't the sole arbiter of ethics - live with it.
--
Cheers,

John.