Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 18:09:49 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 15/05/2021 19:03, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 18:03:45 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

New UK law:

"During a visit to Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, the Environment Secretary said that the Government would take a significant step forwards on animal welfare by formally recognising animals as sentient beings through a new Animal Sentience Bill that will be introduced to Parliament tomorrow (13 May), putting animal welfare at the very heart of government policy decision making."

Hopefully good news (and there will be plenty of more of that to
come).

If animals are to be recognised as sentient beings, shouldn't that mean everyone must become vegetarian?

No, because that means we aren't recognising the sentience and so
rights of egg laying chickens or cows.

And the indoctrination that leads to such exploitation starts at an
early age:

https://ibb.co/wcMQjvn

Your enthusiasm for recognising in law that [some] animals are sentient
is surprising. That was already in law that applied here until very
recently. Article 13 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European
Union :

"In formulating and implementing the Union's agriculture, fisheries,
transport, internal market, research and technological development and
space policies, the Union and the Member States shall, since animals are
sentient beings, pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals€¦"

but there were exceptions such as bull fighting and other 'sports'
and even foie gras and other cultural practices, it's been banned in some coutries but not others as force feeding which damages
the liver. But this is still OK in france and if americans (amongst others) want to do it to themselves
fine by me but I don't think we should do this to sentient. I think most of us could survive without
foie gras. Or perhaps you thi k will all die a painful death if we don't eat foie gras.
I admit I'm cuious as to it;s taste though I've heard it's salty, bit so are my chips.

--
Robin