Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On Tue, 18 May 2021 08:28:37 +0100, Robin wrote:

snip

As usual with Bills it's worth looking at the explanatory notes for the
bigger picture. In this case it's meeting commitments (including a
manifesto commitment) following Brexit. The vegans in my family were
totally unsurprised by and uninterested in the Bill.

And I hadn't even looked at it.

What I took from the announcement in the media was:

1) The government are actively dealing with (and possibly legislating
around) 'animal welfare' and the chances are that is designed to make
animal welfare better not worse (although you often get some
unexpected negative by-catch).

2) It brings the issue to the media.

3) It (therefore) reminds people ... raises awareness of such issues.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/58-02/004/5802004en03.htm

Thanks, so the points that I can now take from that a

"to enhance scrutiny of major policy decisions taken by UK Ministers
which impact on the welfare of sentient animals."

and

"The Bill applies to all animals (other than humans) if they are
vertebrates. It therefore applies to wild animals, as well as
domesticated animals."

The funny bit is the "sentience means that animals are "capable of
feeling pleasure and pain"" as that further nails all of the stupid
Troll BS to the ground (like it was ever in question).

We routinely gas pigs to stun them (the 4th most intelligent animal on
the planet), a process that often takes several minutes (followed by a
prick test to actually see if it has worked). Any *real* animal lover
/ respecter present during that process would be distraught and would
probably stop it if they could.

Ironically it was the very reason the Nazi gas chambers were
implemented as it was less stressful *FOR THE GUARDS* than them having
to shoot every prisoner (of war, innocent 'captive' civilians ...)
manually. Parallels anyone?

For the vast majority of people currently enjoying a strip of pig
flesh ... 'out of sight, out of mind'.

https://ibb.co/9w1dV53

We are more and more told we should be more responsible for our
actions because that's the way any society can work effectively.

Don't drink and drive (accidents are expensive to society), don't text
and drive (accidents are expensive to society), don't smoke (the
illness takes up hospital space), don't litter (dangerous and
expensive to society), eat less meat and more veg (illness expensive
to society), move towards a plant based diet because current levels of
meat production are unsustainable, directly and indirectly causing
vast levels of destruction of natural habitat and pollution in the
environment, (impacting the welfare of sentient wild animals and so
illegal, along with damaging the very / only world we all have to live
in ourselves).

So, as usual, it's ignorance and selfishness that mean otherwise good
people do harm to other beings and themselves.

That's why some people need a law to define what should be obvious.

https://ibb.co/zQF3SZw

https://ibb.co/0CMRm0B ;-)

Cheers, T i m